That's a good suggestion, Karen.  Unfortunately, very few photographers,
even pros, have 4x5 cameras anymore I'm afraid.  I have one, but only use
it for b/w images and only very occasionally.  To have a 4x5 color negative
or transparency processed today would involve sending to a large city,
would take at least a few days, and might cost more than one would expect.
Which is why very few pros have a large camera anymore, except fo b/w
images where processing the negatives can be done at home in a small
darkroom.  Adding fees for the photographer, this could cost more than
having it scanned by a professional scanning service.

There are full-format and medium format digital cameras out there that can
produce excellent images of 36 to 50 megabytes, which might (might!) equal
the definition of a scanner.  Check with local pro photographers to see if
they'd be willing to photograph the piece and simply give you a CD with the
image on it.  Explain you need high quality, yata, yata.  That way you
wouldn't have to wait for the developing, nor scan the film yourself.

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Karen Ackoff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Emily,
>
> You might consider having the piece professionally photographed with a 4x5
> negative. Then scan the negative or have it scanned - make sure the beg is
> cleaned of dust before it is scanned. I agree a direct scan would be
> optimal but I've yet to see a scanner without the raised lip (except for
> drum scanners but they require a flexible support).

> From my iPhone.
>
> On Jun 9, 2016, at 2:35 PM, Emily S. Damstra <[log in to unmask]
> <[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
> I need to scan a large (~24 x 36 inch) painting that's on watercolor
> board. Obviously I'll have to scan it in pieces and stitch them together,
> which will take time but that's to be expected. My problem is that my
> scanner (an Epson Perfection V500 PHOTO) has a rim around the scanning bed
> that is about a sixteenth of an inch higher than the bed, so the stiff
> watercolor board will not lay flat against the glass. I want the painting
> surface to touch the glass so the scan is sharp.
>
> Does anyone own or know of a scanner comparable to mine (that is, in the
> range a a few hundred dollars) with a scanning surface that is NOT
> surrounded by a raised edge? I'm not finding that information in the specs
> I've seen, and it can be hard to tell from photos.
> Thank you,
>
> ---
> *Emily S. Damstra*
> natural science illustration
> Guelph, Ontario
> (519) 616-3654
> *[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>*
> www.emilydamstra.com
> emilydamstra.wordpress.com
> Twitter: @EmilyDamstra

> instructions at