Hi Karen and Emily,
                                   I agree it's probably best to get it done professionally but almost no professional would produce a negative anymore. Professional cameras can produce very large digital files that are better than most scans.
Our 2011 Hasselblad H4D-200MS can produce a 200 megapixel image that is true color and tack sharp. Even for Google we had to downsize them to 10,000 pixels wide to upload them on the web.
https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/exhibit/KALSjjRMfGL4IQ
I can't get the link to insert on webmail but copy and paste that into a browser. I took all those images and Ben Hamley created the exhibit using crops and zooms, with text from Geoff Monteith.
As you can see the lenses have great depth of field too.
If you click on an image of a full case with the magnify tool, use the slider at the bottom of the thumbnail on the right to zoom in.
https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/asset/delias-aruna-case/7AHNVICOIUc44A
Even our new Canon 5DS can produce a 50 megapixel file and there are plenty of professional cameras that can rival any scan.
Cheers,
Geoff