From: Michael Rothman
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2016 4:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] Need scanner without raised rim

Hi Emily,

I have the same scanner and I have used it successfully to scan artwork (both on canvas and paper) at roughly the same dimensions. But the the process to acquire decent scans requires you to hoops to accomplish it and the "seamless stitching” that follows is a pain-in-the-you-know-what.  But it is doable and with sufficient overlap at the margins of the scans allows you can overcome the inevitable fall-off of luminosity that occurs because of the drop in height between the edge and the glass itself.   I have scanned color pieces at 600ppi.  It may be that there is an increase in the depth of field the higher the resolution, so if you devote enough computer memory you should be able to get quality scans.

I have done these scans by removing the slide transparency scanner at the top and have attached aluminum yard sticks (with duct tape) to the perimeter of the scanner to help keep everything aligned as I do the overlapping scans.  You are likely to be approaching around a dozen separate large scans to cover your entire surface area.    Having books to weigh things down also helps significantly..

I used to have an SCSI scanner that was capable of scanning works up to 11” X 14’ in scale.  Twenty years ago it cost nearly $800 US.   I haven’t looked at prices lately, and maybe they have come down, but I don’t know.  Nowadays. or high resolution scans of artwork (approaching the scale of your own aforementioned work), I’d just I take it to a professional graphics photography and pay the roughly $175.that such a high quality image costs, and let them struggle with balancing the lighting, etc.

I hope this information is useful to you.
Cheers,
Mike R.