Emily,
You may also.want to check a reprographic service, those whom architects use for blueprints/copies to see if the have large format scanners.  I would offset the cost to your client or as a business expense.  You might also check with local printers who do art prints and see if they have in-house services or if they have recommendations.
Good luck. I look forward to hearing your solution.  Remember even scanner optics can get out of whack so tread carefully.  I've used Epson Pro scanners for 20 years but they are sensitive.
Deb
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 3:35 PM, Emily S. Damstra<[log in to unmask]> wrote:   Hello everyone,
I need to scan a large (~24 x 36 inch) painting that's on watercolor board. Obviously I'll have to scan it in pieces and stitch them together, which will take time but that's to be expected. My problem is that my scanner (an Epson Perfection V500 PHOTO) has a rim around the scanning bed that is about a sixteenth of an inch higher than the bed, so the stiff watercolor board will not lay flat against the glass. I want the painting surface to touch the glass so the scan is sharp.

Does anyone own or know of a scanner comparable to mine (that is, in the range a a few hundred dollars) with a scanning surface that is NOT surrounded by a raised edge? I'm not finding that information in the specs I've seen, and it can be hard to tell from photos.
Thank you,

---
Emily S. Damstra
natural science illustration