Hi Emily:
Would that company that has a "system"  be willing to do a test for you? You said you were not convinced, but they must have said or done something to give you a negative impression. If it's local, you might ask them to show you their capabilities for free. Even a large test strip would be beneficial.
Yes, I would say that balancing a white background, along with the subtle colors is challenging. Even the expert I use in Tucson sometimes has difficulty with delicate watercolor washes. But she really works hard to do the best the equipment will allow, and she has awesome equipment. Some artwork is more difficult than others.

Let us know what you discover,
Cheers,
Linda

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
Guild of Natural Science Illustrators, President-Elect
(520) 803-0538