Thanks everyone for your further contributions to this discussion; it's good food for thought.
At this time I don't produce nearly enough large-size work to justify spending more than a few hundred $ on a new scanner.
Fortunately, I don't need my painting reproduced at this time so I don't have to worry about leaving it at Colourgenics for a few days and then returning. They can scan it the same day (although they charge an extra $50 for that), so I just have to find something to do for a few hours while waiting for it.
It does seem odd to me, that scanners aren't more widely available with a flush bed. As Natalya said, you'd think that'd be easy to make; in fact scanner manufacturers could probably easily offer a removable raised edge so the consumer could have it both ways. Oh well...

---
Emily S. Damstra
natural science illustration
Guelph, Ontario