Hi Lore:

Here is a text version of the compilation I made from the ListServ, for my watercolor classes.

There is a note about Twinrocker, I think Bruce Bartrug commented.
Don't use masking fluid on Twinrocker hot press, especially Grafix Incredible White Mask, which lifted a significant layer of paper.  W&N was better but still lifted some paper.  Twinrocker is apparently working to correct or minimize this with their papers.

Masking Fluid comments from GNSI Listserv REV 01-29-15
Compiled by Linda M. Feltner

Tips:
• Keep the main bottle sealed airtight, and use smaller, sealable containers for dipping, such as prescription bottles, 35mm film canisters, craft store lidded containers.
• Purchase a small bottle, because it is prone to drying in less than a year.
• Brushes: Synthetic, clean ASAP, and keep separate from other brushes
• Applying soap to the brush prior to dipping in masking fluid, allows easy clean up. (CP)
• cleaning tips for Masquepen: see below.

Applicators:
• small, inexpensive, pointed brushes: Good
• toothpicks sharpened with a blade: Good
• Grafix Incredible Nib: Avoid

Allergies: Some have reported allergy-like symptoms to these products, and added that Pebeo was a brand that they could tolerate, and still used it with ventilation.

Winsor & Newton Colourless Masking Fluid:
• Arches hot press: Good (CN)
• Arches hot press 300#: Good (HB)
• Arches cold press 140#: Good (LMF)
• Fabriano Artistico cold press 140#: Good (LMF)
• Strathmore Bristol 500 series (3 ply): Good. (AR)

Winsor & Newton Art Masking Fluid (yellowish color)
• Fabriano Artistico hot press: Fair, it has been known to lift up some (all?) surface sizing. (BB)
• Twinrocker hot press: Questionable. Better than Graphix Incredible mask, but still lifted some paper (BB)
• Strathmore 500 watercolor paper, older version hot press: Good (HB2)

Shiva Masking Fluid
Arches hot press 300#, pre-painted with W&N watercolor: OK, picked up a small amount of paint. (PS)

Grafix Incredible White Mask:
• Twinrocker hot press: AVOID (lifted significant amount of paper)(BB) (Twinrocker said they were working on that issue.)
• Strathmore Bristol 500 (3 or 4 ply): Good (CP)
• Fabriano Artistico 90# or 140# hot press: OK (CP)

Pebeo:
• Fabriano Artistico: Good (KG)
• Arches: Some problems with sizing (KG)

Masquepen Art Masking Fluid:
•  Very difficult to clean fine applicators after first use. But botanical artists like it for cactus spines. (JAL)
• Arches or Fabriano cold press, Strathmore Bristol Vellum: Good: Used to draw with, especially the fine applicator. Care needed in removing. Careful cleaning produces results, not storing upright (see instructions). (VW)

Schmincke Masking Fluid:
•Hot press watercolor paper: Good (RB-T)

Rubber Cement:
• Undesirable. Hard to see, toxic stinky (KG, BB)
• Stonehenge drawing paper: Good, thinned with Bestine Solvent (LK via PS)

Masking Fluid comments from GNSI Listserv REV 01-29-15, page two.
Compiled by Linda M. Feltner

Linda M. Feltner, Carie Nixon, Kathleen Garness, Bruce Bartrug, Anne Runyon, Consie Powell, Holly Butlett, Hannah Bonner(HB2), Patricia Savage, Jo Ann Loza, Gail Guth, Linda Koffengerger,Vera Ming Wong, Rebecca Brown-Thompson
Carie Nixon:
I have tried several different masking fluids and I have settled on the Windsor and Newton Colourless that you like.  I use it on Arches Hot Press Watercolor Paper.  I have a set of nice brushes that I only use with that, and clean them up ASAP.  I can get incredibly fine lines with it.  At first, I thought the W&N wasn't that good because it is so thin, buy now I appreciate it.  That is why I can get such good detail with it when I use a fine brush.

Kathy Garness:
Linda, I usually use Pebeo; it's grey so easy to see. I have to replace my bottle every year or so because it tends to break down and get gloppy but even then it's still usable. Other brands tend to harden up in the bottle over time. Since I don't use a lot of maskoid in my work it's nice for the product to last a while for me. I like it because I can leave it on more than 24 hours, even up to a few days, and it doesn't leave any color behind. The only drawback to Pebeo is that my local Dick Blick store is only stocking the W/N stuff (and in the large size!) now on the shelves so I have to order online.

I have also used plain rubber cement but that's not quite as easy to use since it's hard to see once down, it smells terrible, and needs a solvent to thin when it gets old.

Bruce Bartrug
Winsor and Newton liquid mask works well on Fabriano Artistico hot press, but it does lift some (all?) of the surface sizing.  One can see a slight difference in the appearance of the paper at any rate after removing the mask.  I bought the regular masking fluid as the Colourless wasn't available at the local store.  It's slightly yellow now, not vivid pink.

Don't use masking fluid on Twinrocker hot press, especially Grafix Incredible White Mask, which lifted a significant layer of paper.  W&N was better but still lifted some paper.  Twinrocker is apparently working to correct or minimize this with their papers.

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
Guild of Natural Science Illustrators, President-Elect
(520) 803-0538
www.lindafeltner.com