I've been there in May, and it's quite the place for two species of terns, brown noddy and sooty.  In recent years there has been a tropicbird nesting inside the fort, though I'm not certain it's still there, or there every year.  Other than that it's almost devoid of bird life, except for the occasional gull and pelican.  The island really is dry, so there's little or no vegetation.  However, it's an interesting place to visit, and I can only imagine the night skies.  The isolation might be worth the month spent there, although living in Maine I can be as isolated as I wish :).

bab