Hi all,

It's been a while I wrote something on the sci-art list and most of you are
celebrating the conference, so I hope do get a response.

The last few weeks I had an assignment that was a bit out of my normal
territory, or actually that was the case in the end. I was asked to make a
fancy infographic. The problem was that with the data they wanted to convey
a fancy infographic would do more harm than good and I told them from the
start. Then after that I told them that what they wanted would cost a little
bit over a 1000 euro. The person I sat in the meeting with flinched and said
that that would be too much. So in my estimate I split up the assignment and
they went along with the bare minimum. During the course of the weeks I went
out of my way to accommodate them. Even changing the scope of the
infographic because they wanted too much in it. They had a hard deadline,
and I reminded them several times about that. In the end there was an
infographic they agreed upon and accepted. And they agreed upon me sending
the invoice.

But yesterday I got an email that her bosses didn't accept the invoice and
that this wasn't what they agreed upon and that the price would amount for
something that would last, which they think the infographic didn't (I hope
you are still with me and understand this). And that they had to change the
infographic to be able to print it (a thing I only heard afterwards: I
repeatedly asked how they wanted the infographic delivered on which I didn't
get a clear answer.) Now my contact person is asking if I could take
something off the price.

I am inclined to keep them to what they agreed upon, but I am in doubt. I
agree that the resulting infographic isn't something you would ask from me,
but the product they wanted in the first place would have cost them 3000,-
euro, not the 780,- euro I put in the invoice. I worked my ass off because I
was empathic to the fact that they wanted something that, for certain,
wouldn't work.

But in the end they accepted the infographic and most of the problems they
want to put on me are, in fact, internal communication problems. They are a
party I may or may not encounter in the future. So that is an insecurity.

What should I do?

Mieke

Mieke Roth

Communicates complex scientific subjects

in a beautiful, accessible and visible way

Mieke Roth, MSc.

Breehorn 46

8223 CN Lelystad

The Netherlands