Linda,

Messenger is a separate app that you'll need to opt into and download in order to use the messaging feature of FB - FB makes it very easy to do so, if you attempt to read the message you've already received, you'll get a prompt to download Messenger. The app is designed to be an alternative to texting, allowing you to keep up quick conversations with people on their mobile devices without incurring texting fees. Unfortunately, if you don't opt in, you can't access FB messages on your phone (they still work the same through FB on your laptop/desktop browser though).

-Natalya