It’s clear you’ve invested so much time, honesty and hard work, and they've treated you shabbily. It’s hard to see how this will be pulled out of the fire without a disadvantage to you. (I am in a similar situation, and ruing the day I accepted this job, which was for a friend.) I can hear they didn’t have a clear image of what the project would entail or what the printed form would be. It’s very hard to work with people who are inexperienced in visual communications and have no sense of the business end of things!

I guess I’d take the money, and a lesson learned to always trust my gut. But please let your contact person know how many hours you put into the original plan, plus the changes. Sometimes that takes them aback and loosens up the purse strings. Especially if they envision working with you again. It’s all about community and keeping good relationships, is what I’ve learned. And that goes both ways. ; )

I hope you can eventually work this out so that they will pay you what they agreed to up front.

Warmest regards,

Kathy