Mieke do you have any contract signed between yourself and the client?  If not did you do follow up emails explaining terms and do you have written approval from your client on the work you provided and invoiced?  As an.outside onlooker, it seems they used you to determine what they didn't want and then gave your work to someone else without notification. Or the person you were working with didnt have final say or rights to refuse your work. Either way, it seems from based on what you've conveyed, it was not an adequate conceived working relationship.  BUT to not pay you for your time is unacceptable and rather unethical to approve work and ask for an invoice and then try to renegotiate payment after giving your work to someone else to rework.
If you don't have anything in writing it may come down to your word against theirs. Do you have any avenue of legal contact where you could pursue legal address of the situation? European contract law would be a good start.  You would need email and any written material to substantiate your claim.
Also did they identify your style as what they were requesting or did they provide you any type of visual style that they wanted emulated?  Any of these types of discussion  would help support your argument.
One other thought you.may want to take into consideration, do you want to work with this client again? If so I would direct my response to the higher ranking individual who is refusing payment and see if the storyline is being conveyed accurately.  It may be a great learning tool for all parties.  Think of this as a business transaction and remove the emotion. It will help.   Good luck.
I equate it to buying any item, using it, modifying it and then  tellinh the store I don't want to pay the full amount but I'm still keeping the product.  Same principal with this as a business transaction. If the person used it, then modified it,  then they should pay for the time per the terms agreed upon.
I would mark this up as lesson learned.  I've had a case similar to this many years ago. When I see a client like this coming my way, either tell them my term or no work. Or negotiate terms of payments initial sketches, minor revision..go to final work.  If a lot of tevised but new works then charge hourly and not by the project. If they want to only pay at end of project  if you have COD I would consider using this prior to their getting the work.
Just some thoughts. Best, Deb
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android