Hello All,

If you are a member or willing to become a member of any national art group(s); watercolor society, Illustrators (Guild of Natural Science Illustrators - of which I am a member); these are some excellent places to collect information to make educated decisions.

Also, a copy of the Handbook of Pricing and Ethical guidelines, Graphic Artist Guild, 14th edition, @2013.
Art Network Press: Selling Art 101, The Art Of Creative Selling, Robert Regis Dvorak.

Look at <www.artmarketing.com>

Consider how much time (keep a log of your creative sessions) spent creating your art, cost of media, substrate used, cost of photographing/scanning and print repro if selling prints of originals, cost of frames. If shipping is an issue, factor in those costs.

These publications will give guidance on mark-up after all of the costs are added to the time (your hourly rate can become a factor).

If you know established artists, ask how they determine their selling price. Take notes, research, read…Look at similar art on line, look at prices. Visit galleries, festivals, local markets, look at prices.

Three factors determine price for your client: Deadline (tight), quality, price - choose two. This is somewhat an industry standard (tongue in cheek) for the client to consider when ordering work. If there is a tight turn-around, the price will be higher.

Another source: <Graphic design, criteria for pricing, choose two of three>

Most of my work is either illustration - prints & notecards and photographic prints & notecards. Your own networking will prove to be a valuable asset.

Hope this helps. Best wishes for your success!

OC Carlisle
Guild of Natural Science Illustrators
carlisleillustration.squarespace.com
“Take Flight And Soar With Your Dreams”