That is their messenger app. its not new, there was a big brouhaha about it when Facebook made the decision that they moved all the messaging capabilities to the app instead of the main FB app - and the new messenger app had access to your video, photos, contacts etc. so if you want to check messages in your others folder you need to install the messenger app, use FB on a phone in a web browser, or use it normally on your laptop.

hope thats helpful.Mirka

      From: Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]>
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 11:43 AM
 Subject: [SCIART] Facebook Messenger

Facebook asked if I wanted to sign up for a new thing called Messenger. I did not check into it because it was during the conference.
Today I received what once was called a "Private Message" (which I have used many timesbefore), but now it's from "Messenger" and I cannot respond. It's from someone I've never heard of and it is ok to respond.
There is no place to respond and write a return message. I can video chat, telephone chat or Ignore or Accept.
I searched on the FB Help page and found nothing helpful. I don't want to "Accept" not knowing what that means.
Am I overlooking some simple button?Is this some universal new setup that FB has initiated or a special service one signs up for?
Thanks,Linda
___________________________Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLCGuild of Natural Science Illustrators, President(520) 803-0538www.lindafeltner.com

________________________________________________Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at