"Because every design must satisfy competing objectives, there necessarily
has to be compromise among, if not the complete exclusion of, some of those
objectives, in order to meet what are considered the more important of
them." –Henry Petroski, *Small Things Considered*

It seems like we deal with this issue every couple years, but the
technology changes every couple years, so let's go again.

What are the best techniques to produce labels for alcohol preserved
specimens? Of course we could go with something really fancy like laser
inscriptions burnt into little rectangles of marble, but I'm thinking more
along the lines of paper and a printer. A medium that could be written on
with a pen would also be nice.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Mike

--
Michael L. Ferro
Dept. of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences