Would these labels be located on the outside or the inside (submerged in ethanol) of the specimen container?

For those immersed, nothing beats India ink on rag paper.

-----Original Message-----
From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of ECN-L automatic digest system
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 12:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ECN-L Digest - 3 Jul 2016 to 4 Jul 2016 (#2016-92)

There is 1 message totaling 108 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Alcohol labels

Date:    Mon, 4 Jul 2016 14:12:40 -0400
From:    Mike Ferro <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Alcohol labels

"Because every design must satisfy competing objectives, there necessarily has to be compromise among, if not the complete exclusion of, some of those objectives, in order to meet what are considered the more important of them." –Henry Petroski, *Small Things Considered*

It seems like we deal with this issue every couple years, but the technology changes every couple years, so let's go again.

What are the best techniques to produce labels for alcohol preserved specimens? Of course we could go with something really fancy like laser inscriptions burnt into little rectangles of marble, but I'm thinking more along the lines of paper and a printer. A medium that could be written on with a pen would also be nice.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Mike

--
Michael L. Ferro
Collection Manager, Clemson University Arthropod Collection (CUAC) Dept. of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences

End of ECN-L Digest - 3 Jul 2016 to 4 Jul 2016 (#2016-92)