Hi Mr. Ferro,

Here at the Montreal University entomological collection, I also freeze dry
soft-bodied insects for display but also for the scientific collection. For
example, caterpillars which are mostly identified by the color paterns and
their shapes, undergo several steps for preservation at the lab. In short,
they are slightly inflated and then freeze-dry. Specimens of the same
species are also put in alcool vials. This is, to my opinion, a good
strategy for all soft-bodied species that lose their identification
characters in alcool.

For what I've observed, the organs of freeze-dried specimen tend to be less
distorted than if they were dried at room temperature (RT). When dried at
RT, the organs then to fall at the bottom of the body (gravity...).

hope its helps.

--
*Étienne Normandin - Coordonnateur des collections*
Collection entomologique Ouellet-Robert