Print

Print


Mike, 

For many years we have used Lexmark ink-jet printers to produce labels for alcohol.  At least as of the last one we bought (a few years ago) Lexmark black ink is stable in ethanol.  We have done many tests and have never had a problem.  

We print all labels on Resistall Paper 36#, sourced from University Products.

 
Jim Woolley
Professor of Entomology
Department of Entomology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-2475

979-845-9349
979-845-3699 lab
979-845-6305 FAX





> On Jul 11, 2016, at 7:54 PM, Mike Ferro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
> From a practical standpoint I'm interested in a computer/printer system. We do things in bulk here and a successful collecting trip might result in the need for several hundred permanent labels that would be immersed in alcohol with the sample. 
> 
> In other situations we know where we will be collecting, so creating pre-printed labels with locality info would be nice with a space for hand written date and/or other collection information (riffle, leafpack, UV light, etc.). Not all printing media allow for additional writing. 
> 
> Mike
> 
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Hutcheson, H Joel - APHIS <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
> Would these labels be located on the outside or the inside (submerged in ethanol) of the specimen container?
> 
> For those immersed, nothing beats India ink on rag paper.
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve [mailto:[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>] On Behalf Of ECN-L automatic digest system
> Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 12:00 AM
> To: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: ECN-L Digest - 3 Jul 2016 to 4 Jul 2016 (#2016-92)
> 
> There is 1 message totaling 108 lines in this issue.
> 
> Topics of the day:
> 
>   1. Alcohol labels
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Mon, 4 Jul 2016 14:12:40 -0400
> From:    Mike Ferro <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
> Subject: Alcohol labels
> 
> "Because every design must satisfy competing objectives, there necessarily has to be compromise among, if not the complete exclusion of, some of those objectives, in order to meet what are considered the more important of them." –Henry Petroski, *Small Things Considered*
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> It seems like we deal with this issue every couple years, but the technology changes every couple years, so let's go again.
> 
> 
> 
> What are the best techniques to produce labels for alcohol preserved specimens? Of course we could go with something really fancy like laser inscriptions burnt into little rectangles of marble, but I'm thinking more along the lines of paper and a printer. A medium that could be written on with a pen would also be nice.
> 
> 
> 
> Thanks for any suggestions,
> 
> 
> 
> Mike
> 
> --
> Michael L. Ferro
> Collection Manager, Clemson University Arthropod Collection (CUAC) Dept. of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
> MAIL: 277 Poole Agricultural Center
> OFFICE: 307 Long Hall
> Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-0310 [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> (preferred) [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> https://sites.google.com/site/clemsonarthropodcollection/ <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_site_clemsonarthropodcollection_&d=CwMFaQ&c=ODFT-G5SujMiGrKuoJJjVg&r=IeoqTEcS907Y5Hg4Si5_yUAwsqfsUzH1JYYqT8NeT88&m=gBjtSml9jSfexlYq-ICwfKtCUQsO6RRKA5ojFpjElwE&s=xURuozsfxvR01mwsjNojLk9R-51QN06lsoPt7A-pThI&e=>
> Subject Editor: The Coleopterists Bulletin; Insecta Mundi
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of ECN-L Digest - 3 Jul 2016 to 4 Jul 2016 (#2016-92)
> *********************************************************
> 
> 
> 
> 
> This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> Michael L. Ferro
> Collection Manager, Clemson University Arthropod Collection (CUAC)
> Dept. of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
> MAIL: 277 Poole Agricultural Center
> OFFICE: 307 Long Hall
> Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-0310
> [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> (preferred)
> [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> https://sites.google.com/site/clemsonarthropodcollection/ <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_site_clemsonarthropodcollection_&d=CwMFaQ&c=ODFT-G5SujMiGrKuoJJjVg&r=IeoqTEcS907Y5Hg4Si5_yUAwsqfsUzH1JYYqT8NeT88&m=gBjtSml9jSfexlYq-ICwfKtCUQsO6RRKA5ojFpjElwE&s=xURuozsfxvR01mwsjNojLk9R-51QN06lsoPt7A-pThI&e=>
> Subject Editor: The Coleopterists Bulletin; Insecta Mundi