Hi Mr. Ferro,

Here at the Montreal University entomological collection, I also freeze dry soft-bodied insects for display but also for the scientific collection. For example, caterpillars which are mostly identified by the color paterns and their shapes, undergo several steps for preservation at the lab. In short, they are slightly inflated and then freeze-dry. Specimens of the same species are also put in alcool vials. This is, to my opinion, a good strategy for all soft-bodied species that lose their identification characters in alcool.

For what I've observed, the organs of freeze-dried specimen tend to be less distorted than if they were dried at room temperature (RT). When dried at RT, the organs then to fall at the bottom of the body (gravity...).

hope its helps.