Thank you for sharing this, Chris. Definitely unexpected and very sad news. I have fond memories of Norm because he graciously allowed me to volunteer in the Cal Academy's collection during its transitional period when it was housed in downtown San Francisco while they worked on constructing its fantastic new home. I was living in San Jose at the time and would take the train into the city on some Saturdays, and Norm would give me tasks to do, mainly working with material from Madagascar. Occasionally, I'd wander around and scope out the magnificent collection - these experiences helped direct my career path towards the collection side of things. You'll be missed, Norm!

Anyone else have any memories to share?

Regards,

Derek A. Woller

Ph.D. Candidate in Entomology, and Lab Manager
The Song Laboratory of Insect Systematics and Evolution
http://schistocerca.org/SongLab/
Department of Entomology, Texas A&M University