Dear ECN'ers,

I want to start my defense of BugGuide with a slight push back against some
of the comments in Ferro and Flick's (2015) seminal paper on "collection
bias" and other far reaching topics. (Links to their paper are at the end
of my email.)

Their abstract states that BugGuide "performed poorly" based on the metric
of the distribution of the 14 Thoracophorus costalis (Staphylinidae)
BugGuide records in relation to their reference model of over 4,900 records
of the species borrowed from 38 North American insect collections.

Yes, the 14 BG records only partially mimicked the e. U.S. distribution of
the staphylinid in question, but to its credit, BG actually outperformed
the majority of the collections consulted. I would further point out that
BG ranked in the middle of the "second tier" of collections just ahead of
both OSUC and TAMU but behind the top tier of "mega N. Amer. collections"
such as CNC, MCZ, FMNH, FSCA and INHS.

Indeed, BG had one of the best rankings in terms of its relative low number
of specimens (14) but high ranking on the percent model area scale (Table
1).

I suspect some of the reasons BG performed so well was probably due the
fairly even, widespread distribution of its many active contributors.

*Google Distribution Map of Top BugGuide Contributors & Top 10 States for
Photo Submissions*
RED - Current locations of BugGuide contributors who have submitted 5,000
or more photographs
BLUE - Top 10 states with the most contributed photograph
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1TQn-Kz0IrnypwGV5C8fIWBUBdDg

*BugGuide Users*

   - *Contributors: 31616* (counts anyone who has ever submitted content or
   comment)
   - Editors: 224
   - Experts: 134
   - Total: 31974
   - *Active: 1023 (within the past 7 days)*

Link to BG user source data (takes more than a few moments to calculate):
http://bugguide.net/node/view/11181

Most mid-sized and certainly smaller collections have a fairly significant
regional geographic bias which is less of a factor with BG data, though the
Rocky Mountain states and western Canada and Alaska are less well surveyed
than the rest of the U.S..

It should also be acknowledged that BG is not quite 13 years old, so for BG
to perform just below the mega collections is, I think, particularly
impressive.

To be absolutely clear, I am in no way implying that BugGuide is better
than physical collections. The gold standard building block of
entomological science is, and likely forever will be, a bug on a pin (or
other appropriate storage method).

Personally, I look for ways that BG can serve to cross-pollinate with
insect collections. In that vein, I am one of the top contributors to BG
and have donated almost every single insect that I photographed  (save for
some butterflies) to the Texas A&M Insect Collection or to other
collections. Significantly, I have also added some amount of taxonomic,
identification, distribution, and host information to nearly every single
BG species Info page that I contributed photos to.

*Over 5,000 insects (mostly beetles) that I photographed over the last 7
yrs from, or donated to, TAMU.*
http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=search&keys=tamuic&search=Search

In this win-win situation, A&M is happy to receive my spmns, I'm happy to
have them curated in perpetuity to a very high standard, and the
entomological and naturalist communities benefit from having access to both
specimens, photographs and associated entomological data of many taxa. Each
summer, the contributions to BugGuide continue to grow.

*BugGuide Usage Statistics: Images Submitted / Month / Year, Users / Month,
Page Views / Month, and Hits / Month*
http://texasento.net/BugGuide_Statistics_2016.pdf

(The first graph suggests we might have hit "Peak BugGuide" in 2014 given
that the 2015 photo submission numbers were lower, but 2016 is on track to
exceed the 2014 submissions.)

Taken together, the above data attests to the fact that BugGuide has a
strong "bottom-up" component as well as a very healthy group of active
experts overseeing identifications and other aspects. I suspect that the
large number of active users and photos, distribution maps, linked
references, and associated biological information all serve to contribute
to BugGuide's high ranking in North American taxonomic searches, e.g.

*Google search for Thoracophorus costalis*
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Thoracophorus+costalis

One other "collection bias" Ferro and Flick (2015) discuss in addition to
geographic bias is taxonomic bias in terms of different collections having
different taxonomic strengths and weaknesses. BugGuide has fairly strong
coverage of the most diverse orders with greater representation than the
relative diversity of large insects such as walkingsticks, mantids, and
roaches. Some orders of small insects, such as thrips and fleas, are
underrepresented, but it should be emphasized that BugGuide performed well,
depending on one's perspective, in terms of the the small brown staphylinid
featured in Ferro and Flick (2015) which is only 2-3 mm in length.

*Orders with more than 1,000 Images*
Lepidoptera 268883
Coleoptera 183045
Diptera 140142
Hymenoptera 132056
Hemiptera (sl) 92293
Orthoptera 37077
Odonata 32077
Neuroptera 6117
Trichoptera 5299
Ephemeroptera 4528
Psocodea 3435
Plecoptera 3206
Mantodea 3058
Blattodea 2822
Megaloptera 1525
Phasmida 1253
Mecoptera 1150

Beyond all BugGuide's impressive distribution, usage, and diversity
statistics, BG thumbnail photos can also be used in another important way.
I may be the only person doing this, but BG thumbnail photos can be simply
cut-and-pasted into a WYSIWYG HTML editor. (WYSIWYG = What You See Is What
You Get.) This allows for a powerful display of select taxa and specific
images. Displaying images in this way can create a tremendous teaching
tool, both for the general public and for the professional entomologist
outside of their area of expertise.

Say you live in Oklahoma (or nearby) and you found a strange beetle, but
you don't know anything in terms of coleopteran taxonomy which would
facilitate narrowing down the options to determine what the beetle might
be. The vast majority of the general public probably only vaguely
recognizes a few beetle groups such as some scarabs, ladybugs, fireflies
(when flashing), longhorn beetles and weevils. Even experienced naturalists
can probably only recognize a few more families, but relatively few beetles
to the species level.

So here I've constructed a unique page with representative photographs of
over 1,200 beetle species, somewhere around a third of the known and a
fifth of the projected number of beetles for Oklahoma. To my knowledge,
it's never been possible before to see such a large percentage of a state's
beetles so easily. The thumbnail photos are 3 cm square (at least on my
browser) so most of the beetles are already being viewed at 1 to 8 x
magnification without clicking on the thumbnail to enlarge the image
further.

*Oklahoma Beetle Biota *http://texasento.net/OK_Beetles.html

This compilation of photographs is from surveys I, and others, conducted in
and around Oklahoma. It's backed up, and augmented by, two important
Oklahoma beetle lists. One is an annotated list from the Oklahoma State
University, which has the largest entomological collection in the state.
The second list was compiled from material collected by Karl H. Stephan,
one of North America's greatest beetle collectors.

*Checklist  of the Coleoptera of Oklahoma - K.C. Emerson Entomology Museum
(OSEC) Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology, Oklahoma State
University, Stillwater, OK*
http://entoplp.okstate.edu/museum/coleoptera.htm

*List of Coleoptera Collected in Latimer County, Oklahoma by Karl Heinz
Stephan (2002)*
http://bugguide.net/node/view/899478

(OSU provides similar annotated state lists for most insect orders and even
for spiders. I'm not aware of any other state providing similar lists for
so many orders.)

In summary, I want to recap and add to some of the points above, but also
be self critical and acknowledge some of the shortcomings of BugGuide at
well.

*Strengths of BugGuide:*

Was only started in 2004 and already has over a million photographs.
Extremely high usage statistics, e.g. unique visitors, page views and hits
per month: http://texasento.net/BugGuide_Statistics_2016.pdf
Each record is tied directly to a photograph vs. most other aggregator
sites.
Can easily search data by any combination of taxonomic rank, state, county
and/or month.
Photo contributors are fairly dispersed across populated areas of N. Amer.
which cuts down on "collection bias" in terms of geography.
Photo contributors are generally interested in a wide range of taxonomic
groups which cuts down on "collection bias" in terms of taxonomic emphasis.
Photo contributors are generally available via email for follow up queries.
Taxonomy may be more current than in a physical collection and easier to
keep in alphabetical order.
Can accommodate records (photographs) of large sized insects such as
saturniid moths with the same ease as accommodating photos of the smallest
beetles.
Accessible 24/7 by multiple users worldwide simultaneously, even from
handheld devices while out in the field (unless in very remote location).
Thumbnails can be cut-and-pasted directly into a WYSIWYG HTML editor, e.g.
http://texasento.net/OK_Beetles.html
If well cropped, the 3 cm sq. thumbnail photo is often sufficiently large
to ID most insects, most of which are less than 1 cm long.
In addition to a photo and taxon, BugGuide often has more supplemental
information than most other aggregator sites, e.g.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/1250146 vs: http://bit.ly/29f7xF6
Photos and associated data are supplied by volunteers so cost is much less
than other aggregator sites, (though BG could use more funding to update
their software).
Bright colors and natural positions of photographed arthropods can be
aesthetically pleasing.

*Shortcoming of BugGuide:*
As there are so many "cooks" (in terms of contributors and editors), the
"broth" can come out a bit muddled...
Often the arthropod isn't collected after being photographed, but
personally, I collect nearly everything I shoot, e.g. http://bit.ly/29prYlu
Photographs can be of mixed quality (not that every museum spmn is an
intact a thing of beauty!).
Many insects need to be dissected to be ID'ed to the species level, though
this problem exists for yet-to-be dissected museum spmns as well.
BG doesn't accept collection dates prior to Jan. 1, 1970 without a
workaround (this is a personal pet peeve of mine).
Range limited to N. Amer., north of Mexico, but many collections,
particularly smaller ones, are also similarly limited.
General lack of ventral or other non-dorsal views.
Finer morphological details, such as tarsal formulas, often not visible
except in the highest quality (stacked) photos.
Many of the dets are somewhat tentative, though not ever museum spmn has a
det label and not every det label is actually correct.
Mapping is at the state level instead of the county or point level, thought
the county is listed along with the more specific locality.
Can't extract DNA from a photo, though not every collection has an active
DNA extraction component.

*Michael L. Ferro and Andrew J. Flick. 2015*. “Collection Bias” and the
Importance of Natural History Collections in Species Habitat Modeling: A
Case Study Using Thoracophorus costalis Erichson (Coleoptera:
Staphylinidae: Osoriinae), with a Critique of GBIF.org. The Coleopterists
Bulletin 69(3): 415-425.
http://spongymesophyll.com/Ferro_Flick_2015_Collection_Bias.pdf (*very*
slow to load)
http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1649/0010-065X-69.3.415