Mike,

We freeze dry spiders, caterpillars, mealy bugs and other insects for display. It works really well but you still have to protect them from UV. I have no idea what effect it has on DNA or internal anatomy. I would suspect that the internal anatomy would be equally well conserved.

Lynn

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Mike Ferro <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, July 8, 2016 9:55:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Freeze drying soft bodied specimens

Is anyone out there freeze drying specimens? Is there any work on what happens to DNA or the internal anatomy of a freeze dried specimen?

Pinned specimens (or at least specimens not in alcohol) tend to be more "available" to the public in displays, and most specimens are bleached by alcohol preservation. Freeze drying might offer a way to preserve different characters and make more visually appealing displays.

Any advice, etc. is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

--
Michael L. Ferro
Dept. of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences