Somebody read my paper!

First of all, BugGuide is great and we love your WYSIWYG lists (although I
would like them in poster format so I can print them and post them). Your
description of the importance of BugGuide is a good starting point to get
more funding. I think BugGuide has become an essential resource that needs
to be maintained in a more official capacity.

I don't have any beef with BugGuide. What shocked and offended me was the
braggadocio and cavalier attitude of GBIF. Note the title of my paper, the
Feynman quote at the beginning, and especially the section under "Ray’s
Rule of Precision" which outlines my complaint, a description of the larger
more general problem, and an attempt at finding a solution (a brilliant
section, if I do say so myself).

Concerning GBIF's attitude, see this page as an example: (
http://www.gbif.org/using-data/summary). I understand that GBIF needs to
present itself as an asset in order to maintain funding, but if they want
to be seen as a SCIENTIFIC asset, they are going to have to be more
self-critical. For example there should be multiple warnings about data
quality, advice on how to check data exhaustiveness, and very nice page
listing papers critical of GBIF. Even Wikipedia has this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Wikipedia.

I was using Bugguide (practically no funding, volunteer and amateur driven,
adequate warnings on pages) to contrast GBIF. And, it did just as well! So
bully for BugGuide.

Concerning photographs (and I touch on this in the email that was appended,
which, by the way is pretty well thought out for something written by a
slow witted guy), "evidence of a specimen" lies on a spectrum from sight ID
to live specimen. A sight ID (a list of dragonflies seen around a pond) is
better than nothing (no one visited the pond). A photograph is better than
just sight ID (the photograph represents evidence and is available to
hypothesis testing). A dead specimen is good, it can give us many
morphological features (some are lost in death), but then we want DNA, then
RNA, then proteins, behavior, etc. So even the coveted specimen on a pin
isn't the absolute best artifact, it's embedded within the spectrum. There
are a lot of (ecology) papers that provide lists of taxa (families,
morphospecies, species) with no photographs and no mention of where voucher
specimens were deposited (presumably there are none), which is the
equivalent of sight ID. A photograph is MUCH better than a sight ID list.
But now the conversation is moving in to a topic that I'll touch on at ECN
this year...

Cheers,

Mike

--
Michael L. Ferro
Dept. of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
MAIL: 277 Poole Agricultural Center
OFFICE: 307 Long Hall
Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-0310
[log in to unmask] (preferred)
https://sites.google.com/site/clemsonarthropodcollection/
Subject Editor: The Coleopterists Bulletin; Insecta Mundi