Thanks Amba!  I was recently talking with someone at an event with a vigil.  She'd been playing a couple years, but thought attending a vigil was only for Peers.  (Which is a reasonable assumption, since a vigil starts with the announcement that "All Peers wishing to put X on vigil should gather at Y.")  I realized that she didn't know because no one had thought to tell her when she'd been new, and once she'd been around a while everyone assumed she already knew how vigils worked.  That made me a bit sad.

That's an interesting idea to have folks go ask the person on vigil what it means to be a Peer.  Makes a lot of sense, since that's what they've been supposed to be considering for the past couple hours/weeks/years!  I know it's popular for someone thinking about becoming an associate to be asked to find out from other associates and Peers what such a relationship means to them.

While it's far, far less important, I can draw an analogy between "Peer fear" and racism.  There are those who believe it's important to tell people "black lives matter," and those who believe that phrase teaches people "black means different."
I never did learn "Peer fear."  (Seriously unfortunate that name rhymes.  Harder to get out of our collective consciousness.)  There were plenty of Peers in my home group and from the way everyone (with every rank of award) behaved I knew Peers were just people who'd been officially recognized as being passionate about and good with "their thing."
Royalty, on the other hand, I'm still not sure about.  They're incredibly busy people who drastically change every six months.  I'd always thought the main reason we had specific protocol for Royals was that a bit of pageantry is fun, but maybe it's also because there isn't time to get used to a new set's preferences?
I've heard that in some kingdoms baronages have retinue.  I wonder if there's more trepidation around baronages there.  Anybody know?

-Ingibiorg