Linda, for our big PCs and microscopes we use APC Battery backups. I'd
recommend buying at least a medium size. At least $200. The problems is
that an small to medium UPS is not going protect you in a direct lightening
strike to the house. Your best bet there is a power conditioner on the
panel with an auto trip feature. If you just want time to shut down and a
bit of surge suppression then just a battery.
If your really not sure APC is a great company with good customer service
so you can call them and ask what they'd recommend.