Very interesting, Chris and Jim, and thank you both.

Reading through the articles about multifocal lens replacements reminds me
of my experience with "progressive" (multifocal) lenses for standard
eyeglasses.  In my day job as a pharmacist I needed the multifocal lenses
and wore them constantly, including while driving.  When I began to have
problems seeing clearly in my right eye and the cataract was noticed, I
needed to change the right lens prescription.  Since I would probably soon
need to change the right lens again (after cataract surgery), I opted to
chang the right lens in a standard pair of bifocal glasses that I wear when
using a camera or binoculars.  Since they are now the glasses I use for
driving, I've discovered these are better for that activity than
progressives....mainly because the peripheral vision is as clear as that
directly in front of me....with progressive lenses one must look directly
at a person/book/whatever as the progressive part of the lens is hourglass
shaped.  As I became accustomed to using the bifocals I've noticed the
accommodation difficulties at various distances is not the problem I had
expected, and only becomes noticeable at some middle distances from about 3
feet up to about reading distance.

This, and the warnings about contrast, etc., in the articles cited by
Chris, confirms my notion that single focal length lens replacements of
some near distance will most likely be my choice.  Since my forties I've
always had three pairs of glasses.....a progressive pair for work and
driving, a single focal length pair for reading, and another single focal
length pair for computer work.  This occasionally led to extensive searches
through the house :), but that was a small issue compared to having the
ability to move my eyes when reading or using a computer, instead of
constantly turning my neck when using progressive lenses (to keep the
hourglass aimed at what I was doing/reading.)

This coincides with photographic lenses......single focal length (or prime)
lenses have always had the advantage when edge to edge sharpness and high
contrast were needed.  Zooms (multifocal lenses) could come close, but were
mainly for convenience.  This has changed in recent years, so multifocal,
or other, lens replacements shouldn't automatically be rejected.  I
probably will choose single focal distance replacements, but what I'm
really going to miss is the ability to see the finest detail simply be
removing my glasses and using my near-sighted eyes which focus at about 5
inches.

I'll let you know what I learn, Linny and Brie.

Interesting discussion, and thanks to everyone,
bab