I had an eye exam this morning, and the suggestion was to wait another year
to see if cataract symptoms will begin to show in my left eye, and/or the
cataract in my right eye continues to get noticeably worse.  I expected
another prescription change in the right eye because it seems to me I've
noticed a change there, but the differences in my current prescription
(differences by the physical addition or subtraction of diopters) were too
small to warrant a change in prescription.  The  reason proposed to wait
was that the difference in glasses prescriptions would be too great to be
easily tolerated if only one eye was changed, even though I would want a
near-vision lens.  I'm so near-sighted that I'd have to have both lenses
replaced, or wear a contact lens in my left eye, or have laser surgery in
that eye.  Since I don't tolerate contact lenses very well, and it seems
ridiculous to have laser surgery when I might need a cataract replaced, I
decided to just wait and see what develops.

I was pleased to hear this recommendation, and the reasons for same, based
on what I've read in this discussion.  The physician who examined my eyes
this morning is new, a young woman, and I was her second patient (in this
current office.)  She's from New England originally, and is pleased to have
found a spot to work here in Maine.  I asked the "old" doc if he would
still be doing surgeries, and he replied that he hadn't planned on it but
the new doc is pregnant :).  The "old" doctor I've used for 30 years is
quite particular.....I used to supply his surgical medications when I was
the pharmacist at the local hospital, so I know this for sure.  So I'm
quite certain the new doc is going to be as good as he has been this past
several decades......he wouldn't have it any other way.  I feel lucky to
have this situation, even though it's beginning to change.

Cheers,
bab