I am having some work done at my house by a trio of very smart and funny
El Salvadorean carpenters.  One day one of the guys said:  "Have you
seen the carpenter birds?"  and he pointed out the window to a Pileated
woodpecker family--a mother and big noisy fledgling, who was squawking
for food.  I thought the name 'carpenter bird' was very charming, and
since that day I have seen them again, this time a family of four,
making the chips fly off an old oak tree above my deck.  What a treat!
So I just ran across this blog that features fabulous images of
woodpecker species from around the world--from the Woodpecker Book!

http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/2011/04/woodpecker-book.html

Hint--if you click on the image, you can view very large scans of the
images.

I think I will call them carpenter birds from now on--very apt!

Chris

--

>^..^<

*Chris Gralapp*,MA, CMI, FAMI**