Linda if you go with APC they insure if you have the backup plugged into a grounded outlet.  They have different versions.  You may want to go to Best Buy and discuss or go online. Most batteries have a limited lifespan. I rotate and recycle monetary APC every 3 years.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 4:21 PM, Linda Feltner<[log in to unmask]> wrote:   Ah, the Power!!!!! Yeah, until lightning strikes!
I've been a bit mind-blown trying to research battery backup and surge protection systems.TMI....to say the least.
Amelia said she uses an APC Smart-UPS 750VA Tower UPS.
I am looking at ones around $100, however.
What I am finding in the descriptions, is that some say the battery preserves the backup ability for 3-5 minutes until you can properly shut down your computer (that is if you're there in the office, eh?). Some say they have 4 outlets for "battery" and 4 outlets for "surge", Why isn't there both?
Does anyone have any advice?
Best,Linda___________________________Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLCGuild of Natural Science Illustrators, President(520) 803-0538www.lindafeltner.com