This is a very timely discussion for me, as I have a cataract in my right
eye that I hope will be replaced shortly.  Have an appointment with our
ophthalmologist next Monday.

At first I joked that I would have a distance-focused lens put into the
right eye and use a monocle for reading.  I also wondered if my
dermatologist could supply me with a fencing scar on the right cheek :).

After giving it some thought, I just can't imagine having anything else but
a near-distance lens inserted.  I've always been near sighted and have worn
glasses since I was eight years old.  The inserted lens has no focus
ability at all, which means that seeing close will to be difficult to begin
with ..... I'm wondering if a variable-focus (progressive) reading lens in
that eye wouldn't be appropriate, despite the higher cost.  So there's no
reason to make seeing close work any more difficult, as it's quite a bit
easier to correct for distant vision.

My wife had a distant lens inserted and a medium distance lens in the other
eye.  It's OK, though not as good as she expected, and it annoys here to
not be able to read without glasses.

I'll just stick with my near-sightedness, and hearing what others have
experienced reinforces that option.

BAB

Bruce Bartrug
Nobleboro, Maine, USA