Linny,

I just remembered that you also asked about the added cost of the different kind of lenses. I forgot to address that in my previous post.

Most insurance covers the cost of a monofocal lens since it's the simplest and cheapest option. Sounds like that's the case with your Medicare and Supplemental insurance. So you would be responsible to pay the surcharge for the fancier lenses.

As I recall, a toric lens (for astigmatism) was a few hundred dollars extra.

A multifocal lenses was about $500 extra (per eye).

The accommodative lens was the most expensive - about $1000 per eye beyond what the insurance would pay.

This was over five years ago, so the surcharge would probably be even greater now. But I don't recommend either the multifocal or accommodative lenses anyway, so the price is not an issue.

There would be no surcharge is you went with "monovision", i.e., one eye for close-up and one eye for distance, because that's simply implanting monofocal lenses with different focal lengths in the two different eyes. But I don't recommend this option either.

Jim

James A. Perkins, MFA, CMI, FAMI
Board Certified Medical Illustrator
Fellow, Association of Medical Illustrators

Professor and Graduate Director
Medical Illustration
Rochester Institute of Technology
CBET 75-2129