Great discussion. Thanks to you all for the information provided. I especially liked the idea of a monocle and fencing scar. Very becoming.

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Linda Heagy
Sent: Thursday, 11 August 2016 6:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] Discussion: Cataract surgery for artists

Hi everyone. I have been a member for some years now but rarely take part in the discussions although I have enjoyed and benefited from your great comments.

To fill you in on my background, I am 70 years old. Been a professional artist my whole life. I started out as a Fashion Illustrator, Graphic Designer, Art Director and Creative Director. Helped a friend establish Houragency Inc. (an ad agency in Ithaca, N.Y, back in the ‘70’s),  then moved to Florida where I had my own Creative Studio in Coral Gables, FL.

Moved to Texas for a position as Art Director at Neiman Marcus in Dallas. Then left Advertising profession to pursue a Horticultural degree and eventually became a scientific botanical illustrator and designer of Floras.

Now, to my main reason for contacting my fellow members.
I have always had keen vision up-close but used glasses to see far away. However, now I use reading glasses on my up-close work and for reading fine print.

At 70 I (like many others my age) have cataracts developing. Specifically in my right eye. My Doctor is telling me I need the surgery to remove cataract and replace with a lenses and is asking me would I prefer one to see far away or one to see close.  As artists, you know my answer would be BOTH!

As artists, would not the logical answer be BOTH lenses: One for far away and one for up close. My doctor says they can put in both but Medicare and my supplemental insurance will not pay or the 2nd lens.

Question to you out there who have had the surgery and the same natural close up vision:

How much was the cost of the second lens?

Did the surgery successfully work for both up close and far away vision?

Was there an adjustment time?

Any other comments to share with me that might be helpful re: this discussion?

Linny Heagy
DBA: Linny/Designer, Illustrator
Arlington, TX

This E-Mail is intended only for the addressee. Its use is limited to that intended by the author at the time and it is not to be distributed without the author's consent. Unless otherwise stated, the State of Queensland accepts no liability for the contents of this E-Mail except where subsequently confirmed in writing. The opinions expressed in this E-Mail are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the State of Queensland. This E-Mail is confidential and may be subject to a claim of legal privilege. If you have received this E-Mail in error, please notify the author and delete this message immediately.