Bruce,

You are lucky to have had the same optician for so long.

Years ago, when I was in college, I had a pair of glasses made and had trouble with them. I tended to trip and fall down stairs a lot. Back then, I required prisms in my lenses to level out my vision. Turns out they reversed the prisms, making the problem worse. Not enough to give me obvious double vision but enough to distort things so that I misjudged things like where the steps were. They kept telling me I’d adjust.

I’m hoping the optometrist/optician I saw last week is "the one". I pick up a new pair (old frames, new lenses) in about a week.