Hi barrett,
I don't think there's anything wrong with your option #2, but I'd say option #1 is the more conventional way, especially since it is the student who is actually creating the final artwork.
Illustrators work with art directors and content experts all the time, sometimes receiving very specific instructions and significant critiques, but those other individuals are not (in my experience anyway) given credit - nor do they expect to be given credit.
Just my two cents!

---
Emily S. Damstra
natural science illustration