A couple decades ago, someone from the Smithsonian Museum Studies/Methods group (I forget the correct name) told us at ECN to take our labels after printing, put a clean piece of paper over it, and press it with a hot (cotton setting) iron (yes, like the one you use on your shirts), wait until it cooled and remove the top sheet.  This remelts the ink and presses it into the fibers of the paper like an old fashioned printing press. We have done this ever since, it seems odd, but it does seem to work as we have not had any label losses in all that time.

Mike