Yes, it's a thermal transfer. We haven't swapped out any of the ribbons since we got it, so everything should be in the correct orientation.

I need to find out more about what was specifically used to clear the specimens. There might have been something extra added or a contaminant worked its way in somehow

Thanks for the heads up about DEET. We occasionally pre-print data labels for use in the field when we know where, when, and how we'll be collecting before we go.

Cheers,

Mike