We have a Datamax O'Neil p1115s Performance Series printer for alcohol locality labels and database labels (wet and dry).

We've been working with these labels for over a year now and not had any problems. I just checked a label that has been immersed in alcohol
​ (EtOH)​
for more than a year and it was perfectly fine.

BUT! Today we found a vial where the black lettering had floated off the white label. The letters were still intact (a capital B was floating around), indicating separation, not dissolution.

An additional label in another vial was tested (see attached) and the letters smudged off immediately. Both vials were full of caddisflies that had been cleared in KOH, rinsed in EtOH, then added to the vial and the vial was filled with EtOH. The labels had been in the vials for about two weeks. (Right now the only affected labels are from a known locality, so no data have been lost.)

Other labels in vials that contained caddisflies from the same batch that had not been cleared did not smudge.

So my working hypotheses are either: 1) the basic solution caused lettering to separate; 2) the printer malfunctioned and perhaps didn't anneal the letters good enough; or 3) combination of the two.

We currently have an experiment running
​ with fresh printed labels​
: Dry; 95% EtOH; 10% KOH; 95% EtOH with two drops of 10% KOH.

Has anyone else run into this situation?
​Are datamax labels that susceptible to pH?

Thanks,

Mike​

Inline image 1
--
Michael L. Ferro
Dept. of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences