Dear ECNers,

I wish I could be at ECN this year, but have a conflict.

I would like to say a few words about Norm Penny.  I first met Norm in Manaus, Brazil in 1979.  I was on Terry Erwinís very first fogging expedition.  Norm was our guide (as well as chair of the entomology collection) at INPA Reseach Station.  He was always incredibly helpful and a fantastic translator for those of us who didnít speak Portuguese.  As luck would have it, 9 years later, I met him again when I interviewed for a position at California Academy of Sciences.  He hired me, and was a wonderful boss to work for.  He also worked tirelessly after the 1989 San Francisco earthquake to restore our entomology collection, library and database.  We estimated that the work would take 3 years to complete, but thanks to Norm and others, it was completed in one year.  I moved on to many other things after that, but was happy each year to see Norm at ECN and to catch up on how things were going at CAS.

I will miss seeing you this year Norm!

Bernice

Bernice DeMarco, PhD
Research Fellow