All,

It is with great sadness that I report that Dr. Horace Burke, formerly of Texas A&M Entomology, passed away yesterday.  He was 90 years old.  Stealing a quote from Bob Anderson who notified us of Horace's passing:  "He was an expert on anthonomine weevils (among others), a collector and writer of books about natural history exploration. He recently celebrated his 90th birthday and lived a long and fruitful life."  I know that I had more than one interaction with Horace over the years, mostly by email, but I did meet him in person for a brief "interview" when I almost ended up as Anthony Cognato's Ph.D. student at A&M many years ago.  He was a pleasant and passionate taxonomist, and I recall we had a great discussion about the "situation" regarding Scolytinae and Platypodinae.

His obituary can be found here:  http://www.callawayjones.com/horace-burke/

We will be honoring Dr. Burke and his legacy on the Memorial Wall at the ECN meeting.  So please send any good pictures you might have.  2016 is turning out to be a tough year for the collections and systematics community.

Floyd

Floyd W. Shockley, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.
Collections Manager (Acting)
Department of Entomology
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
P.O. Box 37012, MRC 165
Washington, DC 20013-7012
Tel (office): 202-633-0982
Fax (office): 202-786-2894
Email:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Staff Website:  http://entomology.si.edu/StaffPages/ShockleyF.html