Thank you, all.

   Sorry I dropped the ball there for a few days. I received several
interesting off-line answers in addition.

   I think I should also try to clarify. First off, for the (some)
botanists - in entomology there is much less of a tradition of "creating
duplicates" (of purportedly the same individual..thinking about branches of
an oak tree here). Insect specimens overwhelmingly remain and travel
"entire" (even following dissection). I hope that distinction is fair
enough to most.

   Here is the conflict, as simple as I can state it. There is an
institution that the specimens ultimately belong to, and that loans them
out to a researcher. Then there is a researcher, not affiliated with the
institution, who right now has resources and arguably needs to "publish"
the specimens via iDigBio, GBIF, etc. (as well as other outlets such as a
research journal).

   Let's assume that the owning institution just really does not have the
resources right now. Not even to put a locally unique specimen identifier
on it (or, it does that, but there is no digital counterpart). And the
researcher does. Beyond writing a kind, explanatory e-mail, and figuring
things out (idiosyncratically), is there some more widespread accepted
practice for resolving this conflict? Answering "I use this or that portal
that I happen to have access to and which does it for me", is not really a
generally applicable answer, right?

   If not, should we as a community (in our most hopeful moments, anyway)
consider creating one or more that are very open for contributions?
Something like an open portal for digitizing and iDigBio-/GBIF-publishing
research-relevant specimens of/for owner institutions that "just can't
right now, sorry".

Cheers,

Nico