I think there's a huge need for such an option.

GBIF doesn't allow deposition of datasets by individual researchers. The
dataset must be the responsibility of a journal or society that agrees to
be, as far as I can tell, the quality control mediator. This is how, for
example, all those datasets from ZooKeys get into GBIF - some of which are
indeed mixtures of data from different institutions, eg:

ZooKeys: Type specimen data for Nicrophorus efferens Sikes & Mousseau.
doi:10.15468/belp5q
Accessed via
http://www.gbif.org/dataset/8fd60078-620a-40a6-b565-0b093778e0fe on
2016-09-13

Perhaps this is something SysEB in the Ent Soc of America could take on? I
imagine at least one, maybe more, people would need to be involved, and
don't know how much the work load would be but this could be a first step
to getting individual researcher's datasets, being a mixture of different
institutional data, online.

Or perhaps SysEB would only publish datasets that are associated with ESA
journals?

And of course, someone needs to pay close attention to the specimen
identifiers and depository acronyms so these data can be relatively
painlessly found and claimed by their owning institution (whenever that
institution gets around to wanting them kept track of.)

-Derek

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 9:35 PM, Nico Franz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thank you, all.
>
>    Sorry I dropped the ball there for a few days. I received several
> interesting off-line answers in addition.
>
>    I think I should also try to clarify. First off, for the (some)
> botanists - in entomology there is much less of a tradition of "creating
> duplicates" (of purportedly the same individual..thinking about branches of
> an oak tree here). Insect specimens overwhelmingly remain and travel
> "entire" (even following dissection). I hope that distinction is fair
> enough to most.
>
>    Here is the conflict, as simple as I can state it. There is an
> institution that the specimens ultimately belong to, and that loans them
> out to a researcher. Then there is a researcher, not affiliated with the
> institution, who right now has resources and arguably needs to "publish"
> the specimens via iDigBio, GBIF, etc. (as well as other outlets such as a
> research journal).
>
>    Let's assume that the owning institution just really does not have the
> resources right now. Not even to put a locally unique specimen identifier
> on it (or, it does that, but there is no digital counterpart). And the
> researcher does. Beyond writing a kind, explanatory e-mail, and figuring
> things out (idiosyncratically), is there some more widespread accepted
> practice for resolving this conflict? Answering "I use this or that portal
> that I happen to have access to and which does it for me", is not really a
> generally applicable answer, right?
>
>    If not, should we as a community (in our most hopeful moments, anyway)
> consider creating one or more that are very open for contributions?
> Something like an open portal for digitizing and iDigBio-/GBIF-publishing
> research-relevant specimens of/for owner institutions that "just can't
> right now, sorry".
>
> Cheers,
>
> Nico
>
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Gil Nelson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Hi, Nico
>>
>> I am not exactly sure what you are looking for, but here is a link to a
>> set of community generated workflows for several disciplines.
>>
>> https://www.idigbio.org/content/workflow-modules-and-task-lists
>>
>> Are you looking for entomology workflows? If so, what groups in
>> particular? Katja Seltmann would also be a good resource for this.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Gil
>>

>> On 9/5/2016 1:56 PM, Nico Franz wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all:
>>>
>>>    Is there a good reference (publication) I'm not aware of that guides
>>> one towards best practices for digitizing and iDigBio-/GBIF-publishing
>>> specimens from another source collection which has not yet done so, for the
>>> purpose of a revisionary project?
>>>
>>> Best, Nico
>>>

>> --
>> Gil Nelson, PhD
>> Assistant Professor/Research
>> iDigBio Steering Committee
>> Integrated Digitized Biocollections
> [...]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Derek S. Sikes, Curator of Insects
Associate Professor of Entomology
University of Alaska Museum
907 Yukon Drive
Fairbanks, AK   99775-6960

phone: 907-474-6278
FAX: 907-474-5469

University of Alaska Museum  -  search 347,746 digitized arthropod records
http://arctos.database.museum/uam_ento_all
<http://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/>

Society and / or sign up for the email listserv "Alaska Entomological
Network" at
http://www.akentsoc.org/contact_us <http://www.akentsoc.org/contact.php>