As Norman says we've been doing this for years at OSU. We also work with
colleagues and their students to allow them to publish their specimen
data & make the data available via the big data aggregators. Other
institutions are doing the same. I think we as a community should be
using & supporting these well-established efforts rather than creating
new ones or adding intermediaries.

Much more concerning to me is the number of people who are still
publishing today without a second thought to specimen level databasing.
In my position I see plenty of it. I hear students saying: our lab does
not do that.

Hope this helps.
-- Lu

--
Luciana Musetti, PhD - Curator, Triplehorn Insect Collection
Arts and Sciences | Dept. EEOB

Facebook: go.osu.edu/osuc-fb | Flickr: go.osu.edu/osuc-flickr
Follow @osuc_curator on Twitter | Follow @osuc_curator on Instagram