The xBio:D database at Ohio State has hosted data originating from a
large number of other collections for many years now. This began with
our taxonomic work: simply stated, almost none of the collections from
which the specimens came had a data portal. So we've had to do it
ourselves, all the while citing the institution that actually holds the
material in question. As an extension, we now also serve as the physical
repository for other institutions, a logical extension of the same
issue. With the appropriate IPT the role of OSU is (or should be)
entirely transparent to a user going through something like GBIF or
iDigBio.  This seems to me to be an old issue that has been solved many
times.

On the suggested issue of centralization, it seems to me that
organizations such as SysEB are not a good choice. It lacks stability in
personnel, funds to maintain such an operation, and the physical
infrastructure to take on the long-term commitment needed.

Norm Johnson

--
Ohio State University
Norman F. Johnson, Professor