Dear ECN community,

Perhaps it is time for a history lesson.  Why does ECN exist and are we
keeping true?

ECN was founded because the previous structure started getting too
"institutional" and unflexible.  It had officers, who once in place
wanted multiple terms, that ran things.  They wanted to become
important, powerful, represent the community to the outside world, and
affiliate the group with others where they would be the representatives.
They wanted to host programs similar to what Derek is talking about, and
to "run things."  ECN was created in a revolte to escape these
tendencies, and in fact was formally free of the ability to be like that
for two decades.  More recently, ECN has converged towards the type of
organization it was created to escape.  We have by-laws, a bank account,
officers serving multiple terms, inter-organizational affiliations
created by those officers and represented there by those officers, and
now suggestions (not from the officers) for hosting programs.  Those who
do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.

This is not a reflection on individuals, our officers are nothing like
the ones that got a hold of the ESA Standing Committee on Systematic
Resources, but neither were the officers of the SCSR before the ones
that caused the problem.  At one time that group put well over a hundred
people in their meeting rooms, so our current success is no protection
from further convergence unless we think about where this is going.  ECN
was created to foster interaction within our community, it was never
intended to be powerful.

Mik

On 9/13/2016 10:51 AM, Derek Sikes wrote:
> [...]
>>>     digital counterpart). And the researcher does. Beyond writing a
>>>     kind, explanatory e-mail, and figuring things out
>>>     (idiosyncratically), is there some more widespread accepted
>>>     practice for resolving this conflict? Answering "I use this or
>>>     that portal that I happen to have access to and which does it
>>>     for me", is not really a generally applicable answer, right?
>>>
>>>        If not, should we as a community (in our most hopeful
>>>     moments, anyway) consider creating one or more that are very
>>>     open for contributions? Something like an open portal for
>>>     digitizing and iDigBio-/GBIF-publishing research-relevant
>>>     specimens of/for owner institutions that "just can't right now,
>>>     sorry".
>>>
>>>     Cheers,
>>>
>>>     Nico
>>

>>     . . . . .
>>     Torsten Dikow, Ph.D.
>>     Research Entomologist for Diptera
>>     w 202.633.1005 <tel:202.633.1005> [log in to unmask]
>>     <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>>
>>     SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTION
>>     NATIONAL MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
>>
>>     . . . asiloidflies.si.edu <http://asiloidflies.si.edu/>
>>
>>     . . . @TDikow <http://www.twitter.com/TDikow> #asiloidflies
>>     <https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=asiloidflies> #USNMDiptera
>>     <https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=#USNMDiptera>
>>
>>     . . . SI Entomology staff page
>>     <http://entomology.si.edu/StaffPages/DikowT.html>
>>
>>     . . . access to research data at ORCiD
>>     http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4816-2909
>>     <http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4816-2909>
>>

>     --
>     Ohio State University
>     Norman F. Johnson, Professor
>     Moser Chair in Arthropod Biosystematics & Biological Diversity
>     Professor & Associate Chair, Department of Evolution, Ecology &
>     Organismal Biology
>     Professor, Department of Entomology Director, C.A. Triplehorn
>     Insect Collection
>     College of Arts & Sciences Department of Evolution, Ecology &
>     Organismal Biology
>     1220 Museum of Biological Diversity, 1315 Kinnear Road, Columbus,
>     OH 43212
>     614-292-6595 <tel:614-292-6595> Office / 614-292-7774
>     <tel:614-292-7774> Fax
>     [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> wasps.osu.edu
>     <http://wasps.osu.edu>
>

> --
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Derek S. Sikes, Curator of Insects
> Associate Professor of Entomology
> University of Alaska Museum
> 907 Yukon Drive
> Fairbanks, AK 99775-6960

> phone: 907-474-6278
> FAX: 907-474-5469
>
> University of Alaska Museum  -  search 347,746 digitized arthropod records
> http://arctos.database.museum/uam_ento_all
> <http://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Interested in Alaskan Entomology? Join the Alaska Entomological
> Society and / or sign up for the email listserv "Alaska Entomological

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

US Post Office Address:
Montana Entomology Collection
Marsh Labs, Room 50