Sorry, Floyd, you missed my point.  I was pointing out that ECN is now
exactly what it was formed to be contrary to.  There are two big
differences: first, ECN has a bank account, and second the personalities
of the leadership are totally different (thank goodness!).  Being
cognizant of the danger is a protection from bad things happening.

These discussions should not be about the persons currently serving, it
is about institutional concepts. Personification of a role is simply not
appropriate or helpful.  But, as someone with a lot of experience with
501c3 leadership, including ones large enough to have lawyers regularly
involved, I would point out that the largest problems for non-profits
since Sarbanes-Oxley and its successors  is conflict of interest.  For
instance, we need a nomination committee that does not include any
current officers or members that are eligible/interested/willing to be
nominated. People in office who want to remain in office (or in our case
are willing because no one else is stepping forward) have a definitional
conflict of interest when serving as the nominating committee.  Conflict
of interest is not dependent on the intentions of the person involved,
it is positional.  Why does this matter?  We need contested elections so
that the officers have a mandate, not an anointing.  We need the
membership to stop exploiting a few willing and hardworking souls and
spread the burden of professional service more widely.  But,
volunteering to serve by saying so to a nomination committee of people
who have announced they are interested in running can be intimidating,
and suppresses participation.  A committee of independent people who can
receive nominations and indeed solicit candidates should be in place.

But more importantly to the general membership: why do we not have more
people offering to serve as officers of ECN? Most professional positions
have an expectation of service to the profession that is met by serving
as an officer of a professional society?  Is it really fair that that
officers, once in place, feel they have to continue because there are no
others coming forward?  These are jobs that take real time to do well,
and we have been lucky to find people who will do them, and have done
and are doing them very, very well. But, at some point it becomes a
matter of exploiting peoples' dedication and good nature.

I think I can say these things because my own record of professional
service is pretty deep.  I don't think I need to do more, making way for
new people.  But, it also gives me the soap box to remind people of the
opportunity and obligation to give back to organizations that we value
and depend on.

Mike
On 9/14/2016 7:01 AM, Shockley, Floyd wrote:

> All,
>
> Just to help me understand how ECN and its leadership got pulled into
> this conversation, can someone please forward the message that
> suggested that ECN serve as a data portal for collection data?  I
> donít appear to have received that message nor is ECN setup to do so
> (for all of the same reasons that Norm mentionedÖno centralized
> office, no stability in personnel, no funding and no physical
> infrastructure to support a long-term commitment).  Only SysEB was
> mentioned so far as I can tell, and I donít believe that is something
> that they are prepared to take on either.  If the membership has
> issues with the manner in which ECN is being managed in light of new
> regulations that 501c3 organizations now must comply with that they
> didnít have to 25 years ago, that is certainly something that can be
> discussed at the business meeting next week.  And new leadership is
> always be an option for changing course if that is the will of the ECN
> members.  Remember that we are seeking nominations for all offices for
> the 2017-2019 term. Looking forward to an energetic discussion on the
> direction that ECN has taken in recent years.  See you all in Orlando!
>
> Floyd

> Floyd W. Shockley, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.
>
> Collections Manager (Acting)
>
> Department of Entomology
> National Museum of Natural History
>
> Smithsonian Institution
> P.O. Box 37012, MRC 165
> Washington, DC 20013-7012
>
> Tel (office): 202-633-0982
> Fax (office): 202-786-2894
> Email: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.