Just to complement Torsten, for years now Plazi has been promoting the extraction of specimen data from the published record and to push them to GBIF. By now, this is for some journal an automated process that pushes observation data from a publication at the moment it has been uploaded to TreatmentBank  to GBIF as Darwin Core Archives. This can be followed here http://www.gbif.org/publisher/7ce8aef0-9e92-11dc-8738-b8a03c50a862 . Unfortunately, the name of recently described species only appear, once GBIF updated its taxonomic backbone. We hope that this might be changed sometimes in the not too far future which would allow to make observation data immediately upon publication accessible.

What would be interesting is that scientists would add persistent identifiers to each of the published record so that they can be extracted as well, and hopefully resolved to get to the original source of the cited specimen.

This is the case in Biodiversity Data Journal and prospective publishing.

Plazi mines PDFs, extracts and make accessible resident data. Part of it is through a fully automate process, which might end up in some errors. However, these errors can easily be corrected. In a similar editing step, observation record numbers can be used to annotate observation records, which then would also be pushed to GBIF.

Currently, 17,701 article have been mined resulting in 164,911 taxonomic treatments and an estimated well over 10 Millions of facts.

More details follow during the Saturday afternoon session at the ECN presentations by Plazi, Pensoft et al.

Donat