I think there's a huge need for such an option.

GBIF doesn't allow deposition of datasets by individual researchers. The dataset must be the responsibility of a journal or society that agrees to be, as far as I can tell, the quality control mediator. This is how, for example, all those datasets from ZooKeys get into GBIF - some of which are indeed mixtures of data from different institutions, eg:

ZooKeys: Type specimen data for Nicrophorus efferens Sikes & Mousseau. doi:10.15468/belp5q
Accessed via http://www.gbif.org/dataset/8fd60078-620a-40a6-b565-0b093778e0fe on 2016-09-13

Perhaps this is something SysEB in the Ent Soc of America could take on? I imagine at least one, maybe more, people would need to be involved, and don't know how much the work load would be but this could be a first step to getting individual researcher's datasets, being a mixture of different institutional data, online.

Or perhaps SysEB would only publish datasets that are associated with ESA journals?

And of course, someone needs to pay close attention to the specimen identifiers and depository acronyms so these data can be relatively painlessly found and claimed by their owning institution (whenever that institution gets around to wanting them kept track of.)

-Derek