Colin,

Can you elaborate on this service that Canadensys provides individual
researchers? Is anyone capable of submitting data in this manner?

What if the number of taxonomists wanting to share data this way starts
growing exponentially?

Is this an attempt to create a 'GenBank for specimen data' sensu Meier &
Dikow 2004?

-Derek

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 4:12 AM, Colin Favret <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi Nico,
>
> Canadensys publishes specimen datasets from individual researchers that
> are tagged with a DOI and pushed on to GBIF. For example, Marla Schwarzfeld
> has a dataset <http://doi.org/10.5886/y2bbsq5> that includes specimens
> from multiple institutions tagged with a variety of unique identifiers,
> including her own.
>
> Cheer, Colin
>
> Colin Favret
> ​, ​
> Université de Montréal
> ​
> <http://favret.aphidnet.org/>
>

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 1:35 AM, Nico Franz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Thank you, all.
>>
>>    Sorry I dropped the ball there for a few days. I received several
>> interesting off-line answers in addition.
>>
>>    I think I should also try to clarify. First off, for the (some)
>> botanists - in entomology there is much less of a tradition of "creating
>> duplicates" (of purportedly the same individual..thinking about branches of
>> an oak tree here). Insect specimens overwhelmingly remain and travel
>> "entire" (even following dissection). I hope that distinction is fair
>> enough to most.
>>
>>    Here is the conflict, as simple as I can state it. There is an
>> institution that the specimens ultimately belong to, and that loans them
>> out to a researcher. Then there is a researcher, not affiliated with the
>> institution, who right now has resources and arguably needs to "publish"
>> the specimens via iDigBio, GBIF, etc. (as well as other outlets such as a
>> research journal).
>>
>>    Let's assume that the owning institution just really does not have the
>> resources right now. Not even to put a locally unique specimen identifier
>> on it (or, it does that, but there is no digital counterpart). And the
>> researcher does. Beyond writing a kind, explanatory e-mail, and figuring
>> things out (idiosyncratically), is there some more widespread accepted
>> practice for resolving this conflict? Answering "I use this or that portal
>> that I happen to have access to and which does it for me", is not really a
>> generally applicable answer, right?
>>
>>    If not, should we as a community (in our most hopeful moments, anyway)
>> consider creating one or more that are very open for contributions?
>> Something like an open portal for digitizing and iDigBio-/GBIF-publishing
>> research-relevant specimens of/for owner institutions that "just can't
>> right now, sorry".
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Nico
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Gil Nelson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Nico
>>>
>>> I am not exactly sure what you are looking for, but here is a link to a
>>> set of community generated workflows for several disciplines.
>>>
>>> https://www.idigbio.org/content/workflow-modules-and-task-lists
>>>
>>> Are you looking for entomology workflows? If so, what groups in
> [...]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Derek S. Sikes, Curator of Insects
Associate Professor of Entomology
University of Alaska Museum
907 Yukon Drive
Fairbanks, AK   99775-6960

phone: 907-474-6278
FAX: 907-474-5469

University of Alaska Museum  -  search 347,746 digitized arthropod records
http://arctos.database.museum/uam_ento_all
<http://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/>

Society and / or sign up for the email listserv "Alaska Entomological
Network" at
http://www.akentsoc.org/contact_us <http://www.akentsoc.org/contact.php>