We had an exhibition of historical women botanical collectors a few years back. That seems to have been a little more acceptable than other fields of science, in days gone by. Class was big divider in the past also. The servant would go out and do all the collecting and the aristocrat would get all the kudos.

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kathryn Killackey
Sent: Friday, 28 October 2016 4:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SCIART] TAN TrowelBlazers

Hi All,
I wanted to call attention to the group and blog TrowelBlazers (http://trowelblazers.com/) since they may be of tangential interest to many members. The blog highlights the role of women and minorities in geology, paleontology, and archaeology (one of my archaeology friends is a founding member). You can go back through their article archives to read about a lot of amazing women that have been overlooked by the history of these field sciences.

They are also currently collaborating with a portrait photographer to create an exhibit pairing contemporary and historic "TrowelBlazers". This effort, "Raising Horizons" is the focus of an Indigogo campaign right now - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/raising-horizons-200-years-of-trowelblazing-women-photography--2#/
best,
Kathryn

--
Kathryn Killackey
natural science illustrator

This E-Mail is intended only for the addressee. Its use is limited to that intended by the author at the time and it is not to be distributed without the author's consent. Unless otherwise stated, the State of Queensland accepts no liability for the contents of this E-Mail except where subsequently confirmed in writing. The opinions expressed in this E-Mail are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the State of Queensland. This E-Mail is confidential and may be subject to a claim of legal privilege. If you have received this E-Mail in error, please notify the author and delete this message immediately.