Good Morning,

I have completed a 22 x 14 illustration (watercolor and oil base color pencil and acrylic paint) of creative tools, such as paintbrushes, pencils, metalwork, wood turning, lacemaking, quilting, fiber spinning, weaving, etc, on 300 lb Fabriano Artistico hot press paper. Several artists & creatives furnished photographic images for reference. Additionally, I researched additional images to use.

The illustration will be used at 50% for print and digital media for an exhibition (17 Nov 16 - 21 Jan 17) for the Lyndon House Arts Center, a 501C3 organization. I have written a letter of agreement for their use, copyrighting the illustration. My signature is on the illustration with the ©. The Lyndon House will use this image on their social media outlets as well as 11 x 17 inch posters and 5.5 x 8.5 inch “hand bills” that will include informative text. I have requested that no text will be printed on the illustration. I have also requested that my name be included with the image on all publicity items, with the ©.

I have spent, on average 156 hours (research, layout, planning, drawing, painting) to complete.

I am donating the one time use of the image; requesting my permission if this organization wants to use the image again. The Lyndon House will also exhibit the framed original with a provenance text next to the painting.

What sort of value should I give to this artwork, as a donation of use. Is this acceptable procedure?

Please contact me off list if you suggest the dollar value; I understand that this is proper procedure.

Thank you very much indeed for your kind assistance!

Best,

OC Carlisle
Guild of Natural Science Illustrators
carlisleillustration.squarespace.com